Inspired by the breathless elegance of Chinese dance, in this workshop you will learn to belly dance with Chinese Fans. Short silk fans are used in traditional Chinese dance
Inspired by the breathless elegance of Chinese dance, in this workshop you will learn to belly dance with Chinese Fans. Short silk fans are used in traditional Chinese dance based on a series of symbols and movement vocabulary that help communicate clear emotions and tell a story. Learn how to bellydance with this mesmerizing prop and embrace your most elegant self.
Beginner workshop (18.30-19.45)
This workshop starts with a ballet-inspired warmup. Through a series of bellydance-Chinese fusion drills, it will teach short silk fan technique with a focus on flow and elegance of movement. We’ll end all together with a short group combination to showcase the beauty of short silk fans when they are used in harmonious coordination between dancers – the way short silk fans are most often used in Chinese dance!
Intermediate/ advanced workshop (20.00-22.00)
The focus in this workshop will be on using fans to make your movements look longer and more delicate, with plenty of spins, turns, layering and elongated movements. A final theatrical combination about the Moon Goddess will show how fans can be used not only to accentuate your dance, but tell a story as well. (No previous fan experience required)
What to bring
– If you want to try out the moves with your own props, please bring any dance fans you may have already (not fan veils!). One fan per student will be available during the workshop. Of course, if you love them, you can purchase one (or two!) to take home.
– Make sure to bring a bottle of water.
– No need to print your ticket, we have a list with your names on it.
What to wear
Make sure to wear clothes in which you can move freely. We dance bare foot.
What level am I?
– Beginner: Never done bellydance before? Or have less than 1 year experience in (tribal fusion) bellydance? Then the beginner workshops are for you!
– Intermediate/ Advanced: Already have at least 1 or 2 years experience in (tribal fusion) bellydance? Know the basic bellydance moves like mayas, bellyrolls and shimmies? Then the intermediate/ advanced workshops are for you!
– Beginner Workshop: €19. Or follow all 9 beginner workshops and pay only €149
– Intermediate/ Advanced Workshop: €29. Or follow all 9 intermediate/ advanced workshops and pay only €229
Chantal fell in love with Tribal style belly dance over ten years ago for its feminine strength and grace. Her style is influenced by a childhood in traditional Chinese dance and ballet, and later in contemporary and belly dance. She has been teaching and leading her group, Mascarié Tribal Fusion, since 2013. Now a student of the Salimpour School of Belly dance, Chantal is certified Level 2 in both Jamila and Suhaila format. For Chantal, every dance is an opportunity to bring a unique form of storytelling to life. In addition to a focus on technique, her goal is to teach her students to express themselves and move in the way that is most intuitive and unique to them.
This workshop is part of Bellydance Summerschool, 9 weeks of bellydance fun!
Join all workshops, or pick your favorites:
15/07: Belly Burlesque
22/07: Queen of Slink – The Power of the Snake
29/07: Inner Muse Bellydance
05/08: Sensual Bellydance
12/08: Flamenco Fusion
19/08: Good Vibes Bellydance
26/08: Queen of the Damned – Zombie Proof Bellydance
02/09: Warrior Fan Bellydance
09/09: Goddess Fan Bellydance
More info on summerschool?
Want to join?
(Wednesday) 6:30 pm - 7:45 pm
Land van Waaslaan 78, Gent