This unique workshop is a fusion of martial arts, bellydance and Chinese fan work. We will dive into the strength, confidence and elegance so typical of Chinese fan work,
This unique workshop is a fusion of martial arts, bellydance and Chinese fan work. We will dive into the strength, confidence and elegance so typical of Chinese fan work, and combine it with the grace of bellydance. Who knew fans could make such an elegant but deadly weapon?
Beginner workshop (18.30-19.45)
The beginner workshop will teach you basics of martial arts, bellydance and fan technique. A flow of drills and poses drawing from Kung Fu, Tai Chi, and folkloric dance will teach you the essentials of powerful fan dance. We’ll end the class with a short combination, blending traditional Chinese movements with belly dance to create a unique form of fan fusion. No need to bring your own fan, one fan per student will be available during the workshop.
Intermediate/ advanced workshop (20.00-22.00)
This workshop will teach you precision fan techniques, learning to spin, open, and close your fans with speed to create more dramatic effects. With a warm up focused on building strength and flexibility for fan work, we’ll put all these new moves to the test through a short tanggu (Chinese ‘hall drum’) choreography to show off your warrior fan skills. (No previous fan experience required. No need to bring your own fan, one fan per student will be available during the workshop.)
What to bring
– If you want to try out the moves with your own props, please bring any dance fans you may have already (not fan veils!). One fan per student will be available during the workshop. Of course, if you love them, you can purchase one (or two!) to take home.
– Make sure to bring a bottle of water.
– No need to print your ticket, we have a list with your names on it.
What to wear
Make sure to wear clothes in which you can move freely. We dance bare foot.
What level am I?
– Beginner: Never done bellydance before? Or have less than 1 year experience in (tribal fusion) bellydance? Then the beginner workshops are for you!
– Intermediate/ Advanced: Already have at least 1 or 2 years experience in (tribal fusion) bellydance? Know the basic bellydance moves like mayas, bellyrolls and shimmies? Then the intermediate/ advanced workshops are for you!
– Beginner Workshop: €19. Or follow all 9 beginner workshops and pay only €149
– Intermediate/ Advanced Workshop: €29. Or follow all 9 intermediate/ advanced workshops and pay only €229
Chantal fell in love with Tribal style belly dance over ten years ago for its feminine strength and grace. Her style is influenced by a childhood in traditional Chinese dance and ballet, and later in contemporary and belly dance. She has been teaching and leading her group, Mascarié Tribal Fusion, since 2013. Now a student of the Salimpour School of Belly dance, Chantal is certified Level 2 in both Jamila and Suhaila format. For Chantal, every dance is an opportunity to bring a unique form of storytelling to life. In addition to a focus on technique, her goal is to teach her students to express themselves and move in the way that is most intuitive and unique to them.
This workshop is part of Bellydance Summerschool, 9 weeks of bellydance fun!
Join all workshops, or pick your favorites:
15/07: Belly Burlesque
22/07: Queen of Slink – The Power of the Snake
29/07: Inner Muse Bellydance
05/08: Sensual Bellydance
12/08: Flamenco Fusion
19/08: Good Vibes Bellydance
26/08: Queen of the Damned – Zombie Proof Bellydance
02/09: Warrior Fan Bellydance
09/09: Goddess Fan Bellydance
Want to join?
(Wednesday) 8:00 pm - 10:00 pm
Land van Waaslaan 78, Gent